/ Man jailed after attack on two teenage men in Hyde

Ali Haydor

Ali Haydor

A man has been jailed after an attack on two teenage men in Hyde, which left one of them hospitalised with serious injuries.

Ali Haydor (born 28/08/1990) of Croft Street, Hyde pleaded guilty to section 20 assault at an earlier hearing at Minshull Street Crown Court.

On Monday 3 December 2012, he was sentenced to two years in prison.

At around 10.15pm on Saturday 4 February 2012, a small group of teenagers went into a takeaway shop on Market Street in Hyde after two men had been throwing snowballs at them.

At the same time, two men, aged 18 and 19, were walking down Market Street, Hyde, when they passed by the food outlet.

Haydor, a worker in the takeaway, produced a knife and made a threatening gesture to the pair.

The victims ignored this and walked on.

A short time later, a group of men, including Haydor, began to chase the two men down the street.

They tried to flee and ran towards Nelson Street, but one of them, an 18-year-old man, fell over and was attacked. He was repeatedly punched and kicked as he lay on the ground, suffering a fractured eye socket, fractured cheek bone and damage to his eye. His friend, 19, was also punched in the face.

A number of teenagers who were nearby shouted for the attack to stop and some tried to intervene.

A car then approached the scene and the men ran off, leaving the 18-year-old lying on the floor. Since that night, the man has undergone surgery on several occasions and is receiving ongoing treatment for his injuries.

Three other men who were arrested in connection with this attack were later released without charge.

The families of Daniel Stringer and his friend who were injured in the attack said: “We are pleased with today’s result at court and that our sons’ attacker is now behind bars for what he did.

“We can now start to try and put this behind us and are focusing on trying to get life back to normal for Daniel as soon as possible after he has undergone his remaining surgeries.”

Detective Inspector Dave Moores said: “What started off as quite a trivial matter of people throwing snowballs, was escalated much further by others including Haydor, who subjected one of the victims to a wholly undeserved and violent attack.

“This man has now been left with lasting injuries, including damage to his sight in one eye, but the consequences of this assault could have been far worse.

“People in the Hyde area were horrified at news of this attack and in the days afterwards, the community came forward with information that helped us piece together the events of that night. Both the police and the victim's families were extremely grateful for that support.

“Today, Haydor has been sentenced for his mindless and violent behaviour and I hope his victims can take some comfort in seeing him put behind bars for the suffering he has caused.

"Since the incident happened in February, the communities of Hyde have come together to show their solidarity and strong community spirit. Not content with just letting these events pass, the community have been working tirelessly for the last six months to create opportunities for different people to come together. Their most recent event, which took place in October, attracted around 3,000 local people from different backgrounds, ages, cultures and communities."

/ Related