Police have issued an image of a man wanted in connection with a sexual assault in Leigh.
It happened at about 12.30am on Sunday 20 January 2013 when the 27-year-old victim was walking down Ledbury Street.
As she walked by an alleyway she was approached by the offender and pushed into the ginnel. He then began to sexually assault her before she managed to push him away and he ran off.
She was uninjured but left shocked by her ordeal.
The offender was described as Asian, about 28-years-old, about 5ft 4in tall, slim build and had a moustache.
Detective Sergeant Graham Clare, of Wigan CID, said: “This was a disturbing sex attack on a woman walking home at night.
“Thankfully the victim had the presence of mind to push him away and he ran off before the attack could get even more serious.
“I now want to hear from anyone who either saw or heard anything that night or who recognises the man in the image.
Anyone with information or who thinks they know the identity of the man in the still image should contact Wigan CID on 0161 856 5307.
Greater Manchester is nationally recognised as a model of good practice in terms of support services available to victims.
- If you or someone you know has been raped or sexually assaulted, we encourage you not to suffer in silence and report it to the police or a support agency so you can get the help and support available.
- You can call Greater Manchester Police on 101, or alternatively people can refer themselves to St Mary’s Sexual Assault Referral Centre on 0161 276 6515.
- St Mary's Sexual Assault Referral Centre in Manchester provides a comprehensive and coordinated forensic, counselling and medical aftercare service to anyone in Greater Manchester who has experienced rape or sexual assault. Services are available on a 24-hour basis and people can access them either as a self-referral or via Greater Manchester Police.
- Manchester Rape Crisis is a confidential support service run by women for women and girls who have been raped or sexually abused. Confidential
helpline: 0161 273 4500. Black and Minority Ethnic helpline: 0161 273 4514.
- Survivors Manchester offers support and counselling for adult male survivors of sexual abuse and rape, regardless of when the event happened. Contact: 07919 246 267.