Man arrested after fatal fight in Deansgate

Police have made an arrest after a man was stabbed to death and several people were injured in a large fight off John Dalton Street in Manchester city centre.

At around 2.50am police were called to reports of a large fight involving men and women on John Dalton Street in the city centre.

It is believed the fighting began in the Suburbia nightclub.

Officers attended and quickly identified that during the fighting a man had been stabbed.

A 24-year-old man was treated for stab wounds to his neck at the scene but he sadly died as a result of his injuries.

Several other people were taken to hospital with injuries, including a man who had also been stabbed and two women, aged 19 and 21 who were left unconscious after being punched.

Police officers were attacked during the fighting and two officers were treated for minor injuries.

A 29-year-old man has now been arrested on suspicion of murder, attempted murder and violent disorder.

Police are continuing their enquiries in this fast moving investigation.

Detective Inspector Andrew Butterworth of GMP’s Major Incident Team, said: “My thoughts remain with the man’s family at this time, as we do everything in our power to understand how this tragedy came to be.

“Although we have made an arrest, our investigation continues and we are following a number of lines of enquiries to bring those responsible to justice.

“I would like to stress my thanks to the public who have helped with our investigation so far.

“People can continue to send any video footage or photos of the fighting, or something that could help with the investigation, into our dropbox facility by emailing

“Our team are absolutely committed to uncovering what happened on this tragic night for the man, and for his family.”

Anyone with any information is asked to contact police on 0161 856 9008 quoting incident number 302 of 30/09/17, alternatively call 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

© Greater Manchester Police 2018