- Halloween and Bonfire Night are occasions where families get together to enjoy the festivities, but there are times when this can be spoiled by the mindless actions of a few people.
- Treacle is a campaign that highlights the dangers and consequences of antisocial behaviour, criminal damage and the misuse of fireworks, and involves police working closely with Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service and local authorities.
- One of the aims of Treacle is to make safety information easily accessible to the public, and this can be obtained at the website safe4autumn.com
- The site also has a Halloween flyer* that can be printed off and displayed to tell trick or treaters whether they are welcome or not, and contains a hard-hitting video illustrating the tragic consequences of playing with fireworks and behaving recklessly around fire.
Trick or treating? Go with an adult, visit those you know and respect others. Don’t go alone, damage property or intimidate people.
- You don't have to open the door to trick or treaters if you don't want to. Draw your curtains and ignore the door.
- Don't be frightened in your own home. If trick or treaters are causing a nuisance, call police on 101.
- People should always report antisocial behaviour to police on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111. We treat all incidents seriously.
- Have a safe and enjoyable Bonfire Night by attending an organised display. Visit safe4autumn.com for events in your area.
- Under 18 and buying fireworks? You face a fine or a criminal record.
- If you see anybody selling fireworks to under 18s, call police on 101.
- Playing with fireworks can be fatal. Always use them responsibly, and make your Bonfire Night a night to remember for the right reasons.
- Let the police know about any temporary shops that have opened and are selling fireworks so we can check them out.
- Don't leave bins out on Bonfire Night. Store them away.
* The Halloween flyer and a poster reminding people to attend organised bonfire events are available for downloading on the right of this page.