Man jailed for violent assaults on women

A man who violently assaulted three women he tried to rape in Manchester city centre has been jailed indefinitely.

Abdoulaye Diallo 10/03/1984, of Upperbrook Street, Manchester, admitted three counts of attempted rape.

At Manchester Crowm Court Crown Square on Monday 11 June 2012, he was given an indeterminate sentence for public protection (IPP) and was ordered to serve a minimum of four years in prison.

Sometime before 3.50am on Saturday 12 November 2011, a 25-year-old woman was at the junction of Postal Street and Newton Street, when she was grabbed from behind by Diallo and thrown to the floor.

He threatened her and demanded that she undress. He then repeatedly smashed her head and face against the pavement and wall.

As she was about to be raped, two passersby heard her screams for help and Diallo ran off when they came to her aid.

The woman was taken to hospital for treatment to facial injuries.

Following the attack Diallo was caught on CCTV buttoning up his shirt having removed and thrown away other blood stained clothes.

Hear phone call made by passers-by who found the victim following the attack - click here

Sometime shortly before 6am on 24 December 2011, a 21-year-old woman was on Fountain Street in Manchester City Centre when Diallo approached her and asked her for sex.

When she refused he unfastened his belt and pushed her to the ground. He told her to remove her clothing before threatening her and demanding she perform a sex act.

When she again refused he repeatedly punched her about the face.

He ran off when he was disturbed by a staff member from a nearby shop. She suffered facial injuries and was left shaken by the incident.

At about 7.30pm on Saturday 14 January 2012, Diallo approached a 21-year-old woman from behind as she walked along Medlock Street.

He punched her so hard she fell to the ground. He demanded she remove her clothing and punched her repeatedly in the face.

He then exposed himself and attempted to remove some of her clothing before running off.

Later that evening, police officers from the proactive unit based at Longsight police station spotted a man approaching women in the Longsight area.

He was followed by officers into the city centre where he was seen to make other approaches to women.

He was stopped and searched by officers and had his details and photograph taken. He was arrested for immigration offences and his picture was passed to the officer in charge of investigating the linked sex attacks.

He was identified as being the person responsible for the attacks and DNA matched blood on clothes discarded following the attack on Postal Street in November.

Detective Inspector Andy Naismith, who led the investigation, said: "Diallo violently attacked and tried to rape three women and to say he is a danger to women would be grossly understated.

"The three incidents caused considerable and understandable concern in the community and we committed a vast amount of resources into the operation to find him.

"I hope his victims and the wider public find comfort in knowing he has been jailed indefinitely.

"As part of our investigation we thoroughly briefed officers across Manchester and I must praise the alertness of those who spotted him and whose subsequent actions ultimately led to him being detained."

© Greater Manchester Police 2018