Brothers jailed for brutal murder

Two brothers have been jailed for life for the brutal and violent murder of a Stockport man.

Anthony Jenkins (08/01/1981) admitted murdering John Grainger and today, Monday 30 July 2012, his brother, Joseph Jenkins (06/04/1982) was convicted of murder following a trial.

The pair, both of Covent Gardens, Stockport, were sentenced to life in prison and ordered to serve a minimum of 30 years and 32 years respectively

In the early hours of 26 January 2012, the two brothers and the victim were drinking at a number of pubs in the Stockport area. Once they left, they went back to their flat to continue drinking.

At one point, they attacked John, hitting him with a hammer. Mr Grainger was then shot in the knee and head before his body was dragged to the bathroom, where he was decapitated. His body was then put in a holdall.

The men then carried John’s body and clothes to the verge near to Wellington Street. Mr Grainger’s body was then set on fire.

Both brothers went their separate ways before meeting up at a local fast food restaurant. As they walked in the Grenville Street area of Edgeley at around 4.15am, they were spotted by a police officer.

They were acting in a suspicious manner and the officer called for assistance.

A further policeman arrived and both police officers stopped the two men before they were searched. Anthony Jenkins had six shotgun cartridges in his pocket and blood on his shoes.

Both were arrested before Mr Grainger’s body was later discovered at 5.10am.

Senior Investigating Officer Andy Tattersall from the Major Incident Team said: “The Jenkins brothers put Mr Grainger through a horrifically violent and cruel attack before shooting him. What followed was nothing short of macabre.”

Chief Superintendent Chris Sykes from Greater Manchester Police’s Stockport Division said: “The gap left by Mr Grainger’s untimely death has proved impossible to fill but I hope this sentence goes a little way in helping his loved ones get on with their lives.

“The officer who was initially at the scene and his colleague displayed intuition and professionalism which led to two dangerous individuals being located and arrested at a very early stage before we were aware of Mr Grainger’s murder.”

© Greater Manchester Police 2018