A man has been jailed for five years for a robbery in Bury

A man has been jailed for five years for a robbery in Bury.

Tanzeel Aslam (born 14/01/1987) of Burlington Street, Ashton-under-Lyne was found guilty following a trial and sentenced at Manchester Crown Court Crown Square.

He was also sentenced to a further two months for failing to return from Pakistan to attend a court date.

At around 10.30am on Sunday 14 February 2010, a 23-year-old man was taking out rubbish at the back of Domino's Pizza on Elms Square, Whitefield when he was pushed and dragged inside the building.

Aslam demanded cash and the victim was repeatedly hit across the head with a metal object before he was forced into the toilets. Cable ties were used to bind his hands and duct tape used on his mouth and ankles.

Minutes later, a 21-year-old member of staff walked into the shop. Aslam grabbed her and dragged her into the toilets before demanding money, saying she would get the same treatment as the man if she did not give in to his demands.

Once the money was handed over, she was forced into the toilet before Aslam left, taking her handbag.

Police were phoned and an investigation was launched, using forensics teams to examine the crime scene.

Saliva was discovered on the tape that had been used on the 23-year-old man and DNA tests were carried out, matching Aslam's.

He was arrested in December 2010.

Aslam was due to be sentenced on Thursday 12 April 2012 but did not attend after failing to return from Pakistan.

He was arrested at Manchester Airport on 1 May 2012.

Detective Constable Lindsey Worrall from Bury CID said: "Thankfully, both victims did not suffer physical injuries, despite the man being hit across the head. However, both have suffered psychologically and say it will take them a long time to get over what happened that morning.

"Aslam used force and aggression to get what he wanted, ensuring his victims were left terrified and fearing for their safety.

"He thought he had got away with his crime but thanks to modern science and DNA testing, we proved that the law will eventually catch up with you and we will bring you to justice."
© Greater Manchester Police 2018