/ Final five sentenced for part in Chinatown fight

Pedro Lo

Pedro Lo

Twelve men have now been sentenced after a large scale fight in Manchester city centre which resulted in six men receiving treatment for stab wounds.

Two trials at Manchester Crown Court, Crown Square have taken place after a fight broke out between two groups in the city's Chinatown district, in the early hours of Wednesday 16 June 2010.

Shortly after 2.10am a group of several men left the K2 bar on George Street. They crossed the road and stood waiting by a bench.

Moments later, a second group, led by Alan Chan, came out and directly confronted the men by the bench.

As an argument took place both groups started to form up after a few seconds a full blown fight broke out.

The melée spread onto George Street, with several men throwing punches and kicks at each other.

As the offenders started to spread out, taxis were hailed for six men who suffered stab wounds. They were taken to hospital.

Among them, three men were considered to be in a life threatening condition but survived their injuries.

One man suffered serious facial injuries and has been scarred for life as a result of the incident.

A police investigation was launched and local police officers had to work hard with the Chinatown community to try and offer reassurance and generate lines of inquiry.

Detectives then had to trawl through CCTV of the incident to try and identify those responsible.

Detective Superintendent Jen Williams said: "This has been a very challenging investigation, carried out our Major Incident Team.

"It was very hard to get a clear picture about what exactly happened, but six men were rushed to hospital having been stabbed, and three of them were serious.

"Despite the fact that this large-scale fight happened in the centre of the city, very few witnesses came forward and those involved were reluctant to help officers.

"We therefore had the task of trawling through hours of CCTV footage and carefully examining the pictures to try and positively identify those responsible.

"Some excellent work has been carried out by detectives."

Detectives are still keen to speak to Pedro Lo (born 25/08/76) in connection with the incident. Lo is a Chinese national and is believed to have left the country shortly afterwards.

David Ha (born 07/12/86) of Sumner Road, Prenton, Birkenhead and Sai Kit Lo 18/03/75, of Henlle Close, Gobowen, Oswestry are due to stand trial accused of assisting an offender on 15 April 2013 at Manchester Crown Square. 

Michael Chuong

Michael Chuong

Ricky Ng

Ricky Ng

Sui Hang Yeun

Sui Hang Yeun

Chi Yuen Li

Chi Yuen Li


  • Michael Chuong (born 08/08/83) of Park Road South, Prenton was found guilty of violent disorder and also pleaded guilty to possession of an offensive weapon. He was sentenced on Tuesday 15 January 2013 to three years imprisonment.

The following men have been found guilty of violent disorder after trials at Manchester Crown Court, Crown Square.

  • Ricky Ng (born 06/04/88) of Brindleheath Road, Salford. He was jailed on Tuesday 15th January for eight months.
  • Sui Hang Yeung (born 11/09/89) of Brailsford Road, Manchester. He was jailed on Tuesday 15th January for five months.
  • Chi Yuen Li (born 17/07/74) of Quarry Pond Road, Worsley. He was jailed on Tuesday 15th January for six months.
  • Nelson Yeoung (born 01/11/87) of Addenbrook Road, Manchester. He was jailed for five months on Tuesday 15th January, suspended for 18 months.

/ Related