You’ll enjoy your holiday far more if you’re not worrying about crime. Prepare anti-crime measures now – not just before you go away. Here are some quick tips:
Make your home look occupied
- Get your neighbours to check your house, collect post, mow your lawn and park their car on your driveway.
- Use automatic timer-switches to turn your lights on when it goes dark.
- Cancel any milk or newspaper deliveries.
- Avoid discussing holiday plans where someone else might hear.
- Cut the lawn before you go and trim back any plants.
- Join the Post Office’s ‘Keepsafe’ service. They hold back the delivery of mail for up to two months.
- Leave valuable items and documents with other family members or at the bank.
- Lock all outside doors and windows and set the burglar alarm.
Watch this 60 second video to find out how light timers can keep you and your property that little bit safer. A home left in darkness looks as though no one's in! 24 Hour Segment Light Timers are well proven, low cost, security devices. If you are unsure how to use them this video guide shows how easy it is and how effective they can be...
- Don’t put your home address on your luggage.
- Keep valuables like cameras, jewellery, cash and passports in your hand. luggage so they are with you all the time.
- Don’t rely on the locks that are built into the suitcase, as most are simply just not up to the job. An extra padlock will deter most thieves.
- Never leave your luggage unattended at the airport.
- Check to see if your luggage has been tampered with when you arrive. If you think it may have been, report it at once.
At the destination
- Try and have the exact amount of money ready when exchanging currency. Don’t produce a wallet bulging with cash.
- Don’t keep your passport, sterling or foreign currency together. Keep your travellers cheques in a separate and secure place.
- Many hotels have a safety deposit box for you to store your passport, large amounts of cash and credit cards.
- Be aware of pickpockets and handbag thefts. Don’t put anything valuable in your bag and only wear what jewellery is needed.