/ Talon: Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Should I tell the police?

A. Yes, we are here to help you.

Q. What will happen if I do?

A. A specially trained officer will talk to you and be guided by your wishes.

Q. If I don’t want to go to the police. Is there somewhere else I can go for help?

A. Yes, there are a number of other services that you can refer yourself to, including:

Q. Does GMP have a specialist team of officers who investigate sexual crimes?

A. The force has a Sexual Crime Unit, which consists of a specialist team of detectives who are responsible for investigating rape and other sexual crimes. This team works closely with officers across Greater Manchester and other partners such as St Mary’s Sexual Assault Referral Centre in Manchester to ensure a professional response is provided to victims and that these crimes are thoroughly investigated so that the offenders can be caught and brought to justice.

In addition, across the Force, there are numerous officers who have responsibility for tackling sexual crimes ranging from intelligence officers to those based within the 10 public protection units.

Q. Will I have to go to court?

A. Only if you wish to. Whatever your choice you will be fully supported.

Q. What will the police think of me?

A. We will not judge you and you will be treated with sensitivity and respect.

Q. I can’t remember what happened so how can I tell the Police?

A. If you are worried or anxious and think something has happened to you, tell us.

/ Related