Mobile phone crime
Mobile phones are easy targets for thieves. Follow the advice below to minimise the chance of theft:
- Keep your phone hidden in public places.
- Your phone will have security built in – like additional security codes. Use them.
- Only give your number to family, and to friends that you trust.
- If your plans change, send a new text to keep people updated on where you are.
- If alone, set your phone to vibrate so that it doesn’t attract attention.
- If you take a lift or taxi, text the registration number to someone that you trust
- Most phones allow 999 calls even if you have no credit left or have the keypad locked.
- Dial *#06# for your phone’s serial number and keep this in a safe place.
Mark and register your phone
- Use an ultra-violet marker pen to label your phone
- Register it with Immobilise - the UK's National Property Register
- Advice for parents
Spend time with your children learning the basics of how to text. This will give you a chance to talk about personal safety. Talk to them about how to send and receive texts, switch on reports, use punctuation and symbols, use predictive text, and hold down keys for numbers.