/ Subject Access

Data Protection Act

General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)

You have a right of access to any of your personal data about yourself that is held by any organisation, subject to certain exemptions and unless there are compelling reasons not to do so. For example, you will not be given access to information that would identify a third party unless s/he has consented to the information being disclosed. In addition, the Chief Officer of Police may deny access to information in circumstances where the prevention or detection of crime, or the apprehension or prosecution of offenders would be prejudiced by the disclosure.

We will also provide you with information about any processing of your personal data that is being carried out, recipients of your personal data and the sources from which we obtain information. You will be informed of the retention periods which apply to your personal data, and any rights to rectification, erasure, restriction or objection of processing, depending upon the legislation. You will also be informed of your complaint rights.

Should you wish to know whether GMP holds any of your personal data, and request copies of that data, you will need to make a valid subject access request. This can be done by completing the relevant application form listed below and provide proof of your identity and of your address (valid forms of identification are detailed within the below listed application forms). You are not obliged to complete this form to make such request, but doing so will make it easier for us to process your request quickly.

You will receive a response within one month of our receipt of your request; or our receipt of any further information we may ask you to provide to enable us to comply with your request.

Both forms provide guidance on how to complete them – please ensure you use the correct form to avoid any delays in receiving a response to your request.

Application 1 - information held on the Police National Computer (PNC)

Information held on the PNC such as details of convictions, cautions, warnings, reprimands and Penalty Notices for Disorder can be requested from the ACRO Criminal Records Office. Should you wish to request PNC information you will need to complete an ACRO subject access form which can be found on ACRO’s website by clicking the link below, the completed form and valid forms of identification must be sent directly to ACRO using the address provided on the form.

All enquiries about requests made to ACRO, progress with requests should be directed to ACRO on 02380 479 920 or customer.services@acro.pnn.police.uk

Application 2 - information held by GMP on local police systems

Information held on GMP’s local police systems such as crime reports, incident logs and statements can be requested directly from the force. Should you wish to request information held by GMP on local police systems please download, print and compete the GMP subject access form (Form 815) which can be found by clicking the link below or alternatively, you can request a form to be posted to you by emailing subjectaccess@gmp.police.uk or dailing 0161 856 2529.

Once you have completed your application form, you may wish to either email your form and relevant documents to subjectaccess@gmp.police.uk (please note that by sending your form and documents by email this is at your own risk if you do not have a secure email address) or post your form to the address below or take it into any Greater Manchester Police Station (list of police stations open to the general public can be found at the following link http://www.gmp.police.uk/content/triage-category?ReadForm&l2=1878&l3=31703

Postal address:

Information Compliance and Records Management Unit
Greater Manchester Police
Openshaw Complex
Lawton Street
M11 2NS

Sending your form by post is sent at your own risk, and GMP cannot be held responsible for its safety until it reaches GMP premises. For this reason please ensure an appropriate type of postage service is used.

Where a completed subject access form has been received by our office, your response (disclosure) will be sent to you by your preferred option; email or post (for further details please see application form, section 3).

How to apply for information held on the PNC and GMP local police systems

Should you wish to request information held on the PNC and on GMP’s local police systems you will need to complete both the ACRO Subject Access Form and the GMP Subject Access Form. You will however be required to send identification documents to both ACRO and GMP with your applications.

Advice and Assistance

If you have any queries or require further information, advice and assistance please contact us on 0161 856 2529 or by email at subjectaccess@gmp.police.uk

Additional information

PLEASE NOTE: if you wish to obtain information about yourself for employment purposes (including work with children/vulnerable people), or if you require a police certificate for the purposes of emigration/visas/work permits/residency to either Australia, Bahamas, Belgium, Canada, Chile, Kuwait, New Zealand, South Africa, Uruguay or the United States of America, please refer to the information at the bottom of this page.

Request for Information for Employment Purposes (including Individuals working with Children or Vulnerable people)

If you are going to work as a paid employee or as a volunteer for an organisation and your work will bring you into contact with children or vulnerable adults you will be asked to apply for a Disclosure and Barring Service check. You must access the DBS website and follow their procedure.

For all other employment, GMP does not provide PNC disclosures for employment vetting purposes. If you require a police check for employment purposes, please contact Disclosure Scotland on 0870 609 6006 or via their website www.disclosurescotland.co.uk or Access Northern Ireland on 0300 200 7888 or via their website http://www.dojni.gov.uk/accessni.

The Subject Access form should not be used for:

  • Employment purposes.
  • Request for Information for the purposes of emigration, visas, work permits or residency in either Australia, Bahamas, Belgium, Canada, Chile, Kuwait, New Zealand, South Africa, Uruguay or United States of America
  • Individuals requiring Police Certificates for the purposes of applications for emigration, visas, work permits or residency in Australia, Bahamas, Belgium, Canada, Chile, Kuwait, New Zealand, South Africa, Uruguay or United States of America should contact ACRO on the below contact numbers or via their website.

Police Certificates

Individuals requiring Police Certificates for the purpose of applications for emigration, visas or residency for a number of countries including, but not limited to Australia, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa, and the United States of America should download an application form on the ACRO website. However, it is your responsibility to confirm with the relevant Embassy, High Commission or requesting authority that a Police Certificate will be acceptable.

Please note that this Certificate is processed entirely by the National Police Chief's Council (NPCC) Criminal Records Office (ACRO) and applications should not be returned to Greater Manchester Police. All submissions and enquiries relating to this process should be directed to ACRO, who can be contacted as follows:

/ Related