Firearms and Explosive Licensing Unit
Welcome to the web page for the Greater Manchester Police Firearms Licensing Unit.
For Firearms & Shotgun Grant or Renewal Applications
Follow the Instructions on form 201 & return together with 4 passport photographs and a cheque made payable to "PCC for Greater Manchester": (£50 Grant / £40 Renewal) to:
Greater Manchester Police,
Firearms Licensing Unit,
Any applications made for the variation of Firearms must be on Form 202, photos and referees are not required, however a payment of £26 made payable to "PCC for Greater Manchester" is payable.
Coterminous Grant & Renewal Fee's
When applying for a Coterminous Grant the fee payable is £60, when applying for a Coterminous Renewal the fee payable is £50, please make cheques payable to "PCC for Greater Manchester".
When completing applications for the Grant or Renewal of Firearms or Shotguns please refer to the Guidance notes on Form 201A
When you send your application to the Firearms Licensing Unit please ensure you put the correct value of stamps on. If the letter is underpaid it may not be delivered by the Post Office promptly and we will be charged excess postage.
About the Unit
Our unit is responsible for the granting and renewal of shotgun and firearm certificates. We also provide information on many other aspects relating to the topic of shooting, to allow you to enjoy your chosen sport safely and legally.
We deal in the licensing of explosives and have two Explosives Liaison Officers within the unit who can assist with any queries you have in relation to this subject.
Firstly, we must emphasise that our policy is based on ensuring that public safety is not jeopardised. Our work, including the necessary vetting of each and every applicant, inevitably takes time. Certificates authorising the legal ownership of firearms cannot be issued without proper and thorough investigation of an applicant's background. These steps are essential to ensuring that firearms and explosives should not fall into the wrong hands.
Every effort will be made to process each application with the utmost efficiency and in the shortest possible time. To avoid unnecessary delay, applicants can assist us by ensuring that all submitted details are correct.
We also offer simple advice and information - using plain English - on various topics relating to shotguns, firearms and explosives.
Should you require any help or advice, the unit can be contacted during office hours on:
Telephone: 0161 856 0820
Fax: 0161 856 0822
More in… Contact Us
- Authority to shoot over land form
- Removal of Supervisory Condition
- Weapons transfer form
- Application for renewal of an Explosive Certificate for Blackpowder to be used in Firearms and Shotguns (COER 1B)
- Application for an Explosive Certificate for an individual's own use (Form COER 1A)
- Application for a registration or storage licence made under the Manufacture and Storage of Explosives Regulations 2005
- Application for an Explosives Certificatte (Form COER 1)
- Security of explosives - shooters powder
- Form 201 - Application for Grant Renewal of Firearm or Shotgun
- Variation Form 202 for Firearms
- Form 201A - Application Notes for Form 201
- Home Firearms Security leaflet