Praise and complaints

If you think that a police officer or member of police staff has behaved incorrectly or unfairly, you have the right to make a complaint.

People who work in the police service should behave appropriately at all times. Expectations about the behaviour of both police officers and members of police staff are set out in their respective Standards of Professional Behaviour. These expectations include requirements to:

  • Act with honesty and integrity, fairness and impartiality
  • Treat members of the public and their colleagues with respect
  • Not abuse their powers and authority
  • Act in a manner that does not discredit or undermine public confidence in the police service

If you feel that someone working for the police has not met these standards, you can make a complaint. These types of complaints are dealt with under the Police Reform Act 2002.

Other types of complaint

Complaints about the overall policies or procedures of a police force are often referred to as ‘direction and control issues’. These can include complaints about the organisation of a police force or general policing standards in your local area. These complaints can also be made by contacting the Professional Standards Branch in any of the ways listed in these pages.

How can I make a complaint against the conduct of a person serving with GMP?

You can register your complaint by using any of the methods below. However to avoid duplication, please submit your complaint using only one of the methods.

In person
In person at your local station or, if you believe local management is at fault, at any main station. Any police officer or other member of police staff will ensure that you see someone capable of dealing with your complaint. The Professional Standards Branch will be pleased to advise or assist any member of the public with a disability to make a complaint.

In writing
By writing to your local or main station or Police Headquarters.

By phone
By phoning the GMP non emergency number 101.

By post
Professional Standards Branch (PSB)
GMP Force HQ
Openshaw Complex
Lawton St
M11 2NS

Through other agencies
Through the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC), the Police Crime Commissioner (PCC), Solicitor, MP, Local Councillor, Citizens Advice Bureau or any other person or body that represents your interests, if they agree.

Third Party Complaints
Under the Police Reform Act 2002 if you would like another person (third party) to act as your representative in relation to your complaint, or you wish to act on someone else's behalf, then you will need to complete and sign the Third Party Authority Form that can be found here

If you are unable to register your complaint using any of the methods above, please complete this Online Form.

More in… Contact Us

Also in… Praise and complaints

GMP on Twitter

GMP on Facebook