We are working on a new website with a range of services available. You can try it out here and let us know what you think.

Cookies on this website

Greater Manchester Police uses cookies on this website to provide information about visits to the site. We do not use cookies for collecting user information from the site. You consent to us placing cookies on your device if you continue to use our website with your browser settings set to accept cookies. If you wish to switch off cookies, you should view the guidance for the internet browser you are using. Our full cookies policy can be viewed here.

Lost something?

Losing something valuable can be frustrating, difficult or even upsetting and we will always try to help someone who has lost something.

However, we’re not always the best place to report things and there’s only certain things that we can take reports of. - please see our poster


What should I do?

If your property has gone missing, you have to determine whether you believe the item has been lost or stolen. If you are certain your property has been stolen you can report the crime/incident to us – take a look at our “Contact us” page for details on the different ways that you can do this.

It is important to be aware that the reporting of any lost property to the Police as stolen is a criminal offence.

What lost items should I report to the police?

We will only take lost reports for certain items, specifically:

  • Hazardous Items such as firearms, shotguns, ammunition, explosives, poisons, toxins or chemicals.
  • All Foreign National Passports and ID Cards

You can do this by getting in touch with us in the ways shown on our “Contact us” page.

All other items of lost property should not be reported to GMP, however take a look at the guidance below for details on what to do next.

What if it’s not one of those?

If you lose any of the identifiable documents listed here you should make direct contact with the issuing authority/provider to notify them of the loss. They will tell you what to do next.

For any other items not already listed, you can report the loss for free through Report My Loss. Just visit http://www.reportmyloss.com/uk to find out what to do.

Lost something in a public place?

Dependent upon what you have lost and where you have lost it, we might not be best placed to help re-unite you with your possession/s.

If you have lost something while out and about, first try to re-trace your steps and contact the places you've visited to see if they have it.

If you think you have lost your property in a public place/premises or on public transport, such as any of those listed below you should contact them directly as they often have their own lost and found property service.

Lost something outside of Greater Manchester?

If you have lost your property when you were outside of the Greater Manchester area, you should contact the appropriate police force to report the matter. Find a list of Forces across the country here: https://www.police.uk/contact/force-websites/

Alternatively you can report it online via Report My Loss (http://www.reportmyloss.com/uk); however a fee may apply dependent upon which police force area you have lost your item.

Identifiable documents

  • Driving license
  • UK Passport
  • National Insurance Card
  • Identity Card (except Foreign National ID Card)
  • Bank Card, Credit Card or Cheque Book
  • Birth, Adoption, Death, Marriage and Civil Partnership Certificates
  • Blue Disabled Badge
  • Travel Pass (e.g. Bus Pass, Metrolink Pass, Rail Card)

Public places/premises or public transport

  • Licensed premises (pubs, bars, nightclubs)
  • Private premises (house, hotel, hostel)
  • Business premises (restaurants, shops, supermarkets, office, entertainment venues)
  • Educational premises (schools, universities, colleges)
  • Public transport (trains, buses, trams)
  • Taxis (including Private Hire vehicles)
  • Airport


Related topics...

Car and Property Auctions

Found something?

Lost and Found Dogs

Lost Bicycle


© Greater Manchester Police 2019