We are working on a new website with a range of services available. You can try it out here and let us know what you think.

Cookies on this website

Greater Manchester Police uses cookies on this website to provide information about visits to the site. We do not use cookies for collecting user information from the site. You consent to us placing cookies on your device if you continue to use our website with your browser settings set to accept cookies. If you wish to switch off cookies, you should view the guidance for the internet browser you are using. Our full cookies policy can be viewed here.

Legal Services

How do I make a civil claim for compensation against GMP?

If your claim relates to:

Damage to or loss of property (including forced entry to premises);

Unattended vehicle or premises search.

It must be made in writing and sent to the following address:

Property and Disclosure Unit
Legal Services
c/o Openshaw Complex
Lawton Street
M11 2NS

For all other claims, your claim must be made in writing to the following address:

Civil Litigation Unit
Legal Services
c/o Openshaw Complex
Lawton Street
M11 2NS

There are rules governing civil litigation which can be found at:


In particular, certain claims for compensation for personal injury should be made by submitting a standard form via an on-line website, known as the claims portal. More information can be found here: http://www.claimsportal.org.uk/en/

Related topics...


Chief Officer Team

Copyright and Disclaimers

Customer Satisfaction Surveys

Equality Publications

Future of Policing

General Information

Giving Back

GMP Band

Greater Manchester Museum and Archives

Interpretors and Translators


Our performance

Professional Standards Branch

Reports and Publications

Specialist Units

Tenders and Business

© Greater Manchester Police 2019