We are working on a new website with a range of services available. You can try it out here and let us know what you think.

Frequently Asked Questions about IVRO

Is every Foreign National required to register with the police when residing in the United Kingdom?

  • Only those foreign nationals aged 16 or over and from the countries listed below required to register with the police whilst residing in the UK. If you are from one of the countries in the list below and are not sure if you have to register with the police, please contact the International Visitors Registration Office by email gmp.ivro@gmp.police.uk or visit the Home Office website for further guidance.

    Countries that usually need to register:
    Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Belarus, Bolivia, Brazil, China, Colombia, Cuba, Egypt, Georgia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Lebanon, Libya, Moldova, Morocco, North Korea, Oman, Palestine, Peru, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Syria, Tajikistan, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Yemen

Is it possible to register for the first time at any police station?

  • NO, if you are living in the Greater Manchester Police area you must attend the International Visitor Registration Office at Greenheys Police Station, at the above address.  This is the only police station within the Greater Manchester area where you can register. 

What will happen if I do not register with the police within seven days?

  • Failure to register or attend your appointment for registration with the Police is an offence under Section 26(1) (f) of the Immigration Act 1971 and where a person fails to register, the Police can consider prosecution. You can be liable to a fine of up to £5,000 and/or imprisonment for six months. Your stay in the UK may also be affected.

Do I need an appointment to register?

Is it possible to register at the University / College I am studying at?

  • NO, at this time there is no arrangement; Foreign Nationals must attend the International Visitors Registration Office.

What do I need to bring with me to register with the police for the first time?

To register with the police you are required to bring with you the following items:

  • Complete the attached Registration Form
  • Your passport
  • Your Biometric Residence Permit (If issued)
  • Two recent passport size photographs
  • Registration fee of £34.00 Credit/Debit card ONLY
  •  If you are a student, you must bring your university/college offer letter with details of your studies or a student card
  • If an organization or company is sponsoring your studies, you should bring a letter from the organization to confirm this
  • If you are employed in the United Kingdom you must bring your work permit and details of your employers
  • Proof of your UK Manchester address, i.e, Utility Bill, Bank Statement or Tenancy Agreement which must show your name and address.

Will the registration certificate be available for collection the same day?

  • YES, you will be given your Police Registration Certificate at the time of your registration. 

If I change any of the details that are on my registration certificate, do I have to report these changes to the police?

  • YES, after registering you must comply with the rules on the reverse of the certificate and any changes MUST be reported within 7 days at the International Visitor Registration Office.
  • If it is ONLY your address that has changed, this can be done at any Public Enquiry Counter in the Greater Manchester Police area.

The Rules of the Police Registration Scheme require you to report any changes within 7 days  as follows:-

  • New address 
  • Any new landing conditions 
  • Extensions to your visa granted by the Home Office 
  • New passport 
  • New study information or change to university/college
  • New employment
  • Change of marital status
  • Exemption from Police Registration
  • Change of Nationality


If I go to live in another City in the United Kingdom what should I do?

  • You must report to the local police station in the new Town/ City within 7 days. Take your police registration certificate, passport and evidence of your new school, university, work permit or employers details. If you have not been out of the UK as above there will be no charge and you continue to use the same certificate.

Will I be prosecuted if I do not report any changes to my registration?

  • YES, you may be prosecuted if you do not report changes to the details on your registration certificate or do not keep to your visa requirements. This could result in either a fine of up to £5000 and/or 6 months imprisonment.

How can I make the payment of £34

  • Payment can only be made by Credit or Debit card ONLY at the International Visitor Registration Office, Greenheys Police Station.

When will my registration certificate expire?

  • Your registration certificate will expire if you are out of the United Kingdom for a continuous period of more than 12months.

What do I do when I am leaving the United Kingdom and plan not to return?

  • Before leaving the United Kingdom, you are required to return your registration certificate to the International Visitors Registration Office, explaining that you are leaving the UK and giving the date of your departure.

What if I am going on holiday out of the United Kingdom: do I return my registration certificate?

  • NO, if you are leaving the UK for a short holiday you should keep your certificate with you. If your holiday or stay away from the UK is going to be longer than 2 months but less than 12 months you need to contact the International Visitor Registration Office so they can update your records.   

If I lose my registration certificate or damage it, do I have to pay for another?

  • YES, if you have lost your registration certificate you must report the loss using the ‘Report my Loss’ online service and obtain a Police Reference number for the loss. Once you have this you should make an appointment to attend the International Visitor Registration Office with your passport and fee of £34 to obtain a replacement. If it is damaged you must hand it in and will also be required to pay £34 for a replacement.

What if my registration certificate is stolen?

  • If your registration certificate has been stolen, you must report the theft to a Public Enquiry Counter. They will give you a Crime Report Reference number. On receipt of this number you must attend at the International Visitors Registration Office with this reference number, who will issue you with a replacement certificate, you will also have to pay a replacement fee of £34.

Further information

© Greater Manchester Police 2019