We are working on a new website with a range of services available. You can try it out here and let us know what you think.

Forced Marriage

Click here if you want to navigate away from this site quickly.

A forced marriage is a criminal offence and is:
"A marriage conducted without the valid consent of one or both parties, where duress is a factor".

Duress can include physical, sexual, emotional, and financial and psychological pressure. This will include coercion and deception to force someone into marrying.

  • Forced marriages are a form of domestic abuse and are dealt with as such by the police
  • Forced marriages are where one or both persons involved get forced into a marriage that they do not want to enter and do not consent to the marriage
  • Sometimes it is parents forcing their child to get married or sometimes it can be the extended family or community
  • It can happen between people in this country or between someone from this country with someone abroad

How do arranged marriages differ from forced marriages?

  • Where the families of both parties take a leading role in arranging the marriage, but the choice as to whether or not to accept the arrangement remains with the prospective spouses.

Which communities do forced marriages happen in?

  • We are aware it happens in many communities and we want to encourage communities to understand that this is force and to be confident enough to report to the police.


  • Forced marriage is primarily, but not exclusively, an issue of violence against women. Most cases involve young women and girls aged between 13 and 30 years, although there is evidence to suggest that as many as 15 per cent of victims are male.
  • It is felt that men may still be a reluctant to report to the police that they have been forced into a marriage.
  • We are aware that there are a number of cases going unreported and we hope to encourage more reporting by raising awareness of the issues

How can police help?

  • We want to encourage potential victims and those already in a forced marriage to seek support and help from the police. We have specialist officers who can deal with the issues and they will help and support you throughout the process.
  • Obviously we understand that many victims do not want to criminalise family members and may be reluctant to call the police; however we would encourage you to do so if this is the only way to get you out of the situation and so that we can offer you some support and protection.

Foreign and Commonwealth assistance

Reporting a Forced Marriage

  • We will respect the victim's wishes, respect confidentiality, establish lines of communication and provide appropriate support and guidance via a number of support agencies.
  • You can report a forced marriage by calling 101. Always call 999 in an emergency where there is a threat to life of a crime in progress.
  • In addition we have Specialist Domestic Abuse Investigators on each Borough

Police Response

Situations whereby a forced marriage may come to the attention of the police include:

  • An individual who fears they may be forced to marry.
  • A report by a third party of an individual having been taken abroad for the purpose of a forced marriage.
  • An individual who has already been forced to marry either in this country or abroad or to someone from abroad.

The Legal Position

Forced Marriage Protection Orders (Civil Protection Act 2007)

  • A Forced Marriage Protection order can be made by a Family Court in order to protect victims, both adults and children of a potential forced marriage or people who are already in a forced marriage. This is a legal document issued by a judge designed to protect individuals according to their particular circumstances. It contains legally binding conditions and directions that require a change in the behavior of a person or persons trying to force another person into marriage.
  • Forced Marriage Protection Orders may be made to prevent a forced marriage from occurring, to stop intimidation and violence, to reveal the whereabouts of a person, to stop somebody from being taken abroad, to hand over passports etc.
  • A breach of any of the conditions is a criminal offence.
  • You can apply for a Forced Marriage Protection order here

Safety Advice

If you really don’t want to talk to the police or other agencies then please think about the following safety advice if you think you may be forced into a marriage in this country or abroad:

  • Keep a copy of your passport including dual nationality passports
  • Tell a trusted friend if you are travelling abroad and give them addresses of where you will be staying and also details of your return flight so they can alert the police if you fail to return on that date
  • Have a spare mobile to hand that you can be contacted on and leave the number with trusted people so you are contactable
  • Memorise police phone numbers, and/or email addresses of the Forced Marriage unit and trusted friends in case you have to call them in an emergency
  • Have addresses of British Embassies available

Support Agencies

Bangladeshi Women’s Centre - 0161 257 3867
Advice, information and support for Bangladeshi women including the issues of domestic abuse, forced marriage and ‘honour’ based violence. Other areas covered include welfare rights, housing, health, education and training, employment and immigration and nationality.

Henna Foundation - 02920 498600/496920
Henna Foundation is a registered charity that whose work involves supporting and seeking assistance to protect victims of ‘honour’ related crime, abuses & violence including cases of Forced marriages.

Honour Network (Karma Nirvana) - 0800 5999 247
The Honour Network helpline is a confidential helpline providing emotional and practical support and advice for victims and survivors (male & female) of forced marriage and/or ‘honour’ based violence and abuse.

Independent Choices - 0161 636 7534
This is a voluntary organisation promoting the rights and meeting the needs of women who have experienced domestic abuse. Supports victims and provides a help line facility and refuge accommodation.

Iranian and Kurdish Women’ Rights Organisation (IKWRO) - 020 7490 0303
Provides support and advice in Arabic, Kurdish, Turkish and Farsi to women, girls and men living in Britain, in areas including domestic abuse and ‘honour’ based issues.

Saheli - 0161 945 4187
Saheli is an organisation for Asian women run by Asian women. Saheli provides emergency, temporary refuge accommodation to South Asian women and their children who are fleeing domestic abuse situations. The refuge offers a children's service to ensure that children's needs are met, for example through play session and one to one work.

Southall Black Sisters - 020 8571 9595 (10am-12.30pm and 1.30pm-4pm)
This is a resource centre offering information, advice, advocacy, practical help, counselling, and support to black and minority women experiencing domestic abuse. Southall Black Sisters specialise in forced marriage particularly in relation to South Asian women. The office is open weekdays (except Wednesday)

Lesbian and Gay Foundation - 0845 3 30 30 30
Confidential helpline and centre offering information, advice, advocacy, practical help, counseling, and support to men and women experiencing domestic abuse, honour based violence or are victims of forced marriage.

Men’s Advice Line - 0808 801 0327 (Mon-Fri 10am-1pm and 2pm-5pm)
Confidential helpline for men who experience violence from their partners and ex partners. They provide emotional support, practical advice and inform men of specialist services that can give them advice on legal, housing, child contact, mental health and other issues.

NSPCC This free, confidential service for anyone concerned about children at risk of harm offers counselling, information and advice. The service also connects vulnerable young people, particularly runaways, to services that can help. It is open Monday to Friday between 11am and 7pm.

Asian Child Protection Helpline

  • Bengali speaking advisor - 0800 096 7714
  • Gujarati - 0800 096 7715
  • Hindi - 0800 096 7716
  • Punjabi - 0800 096 7717
  • Urdu - 0800 096 7718
  • English - 0800 096 7719

This free, 24-hour helpline provides information, advice and counselling to anyone concerned about a child at risk of abuse.

  • 0808 800 5000 (helpline)
  • 0800 056 0566 (text phone)

Broken Rainbow - 08452 255 6234
Support for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people experiencing domestic violence.

Careline - 0208 8514 1177
This is a national confidential counselling line for children, young people and adults on any issue including family, marital and relationship problems, child abuse, rape and sexual assault, depression and anxiety.

Child Line - 0800 1111
This service is for any child or young person with a problem.

The Citizens Advice Bureau The Citizens Advice Bureau offers free, confidential and impartial information and advice on a wide range of subjects including consumer rights, debt, benefits, housing, employment, immigration, family and personal matters.

Manchester Airport Immigration 0161 489 3576
Immigration may be able to assist you with enquiries in relation to passports and dual nationality

Mondays and Tuesdays: 10am – 1pm

  • Wednesdays: 1pm – 4pm
  • An email service is also offered by the Helpline for non-urgent concerns with an aim to respond within 3 working days: helpline@independentchoices.org.uk

Click here if you want to navigate away from this site quickly.

© Greater Manchester Police 2019