David Jones has been jailed after a brutal assault

A man who brutally assaulted Eugene Byrne, who later took his own life, has been jailed.


David Jones (15/08/1976) of Halliford Road, Manchester was jailed for 10 years at Manchester Crown Court, Crown Square today, Friday 19 May 2017.


He was previously found guilty of section 18 wounding (grievous bodily harm) against Eugene and section 47 assault against another victim.


The court heard that, at around 2.40am on Friday 23 July 2016, 59-year-old Eugene was socialising with relatives at a house on Bewley Walk, Manchester when they heard shouting and stones being thrown at the rear of the property.


When they went to investigate, along with other neighbours, they found damage to the back door and a group of men, including Jones, who had entered their back garden.


When Eugene questioned their behaviour, Jones punched him to the side of the head and the force of the blow caused him to fall backwards into the fence.


Eugene slumped to the floor, where he immediately fell unconscious. Despite this, Jones continued to kick Eugene repeatedly, while holding onto the fence for leverage.


Jones also punched another neighbour to the back of the head several times.


Officers attended and arrested Jones. Eugene was rushed to hospital with a serious bleed on the brain and a number of facial fractures, where he remained until September 2016 due to the severity of his brain injury.


After returning home, Eugene could no longer work and needed assistance with his everyday needs from his family members.


On Monday 2 January 2017, Eugene tragically took his own life at his home in Manchester.


Detective Constable John Armitage, of GMP’s City of Manchester Team, said: “Reliving the harrowing ordeal that went on that night has been emotionally draining in this court case.


“An innocent man’s life changed that night when he was subjected to this brutal and unprovoked attack.


“This has been devastating for Eugene’s family, who supported him throughout, and their lives will never be the same again, but I want to commend their courage and strength during this investigation as well as other parties who have contributed greatly to the outcome.


“Today’s result has brought justice to this grieving family and I hope this makes it clear that GMP will not tolerate this kind of senseless violence.”







© Greater Manchester Police 2018