We are working on a new website with a range of services available. You can try it out here and let us know what you think.

Cookies on this website

Greater Manchester Police uses cookies on this website to provide information about visits to the site. We do not use cookies for collecting user information from the site. You consent to us placing cookies on your device if you continue to use our website with your browser settings set to accept cookies. If you wish to switch off cookies, you should view the guidance for the internet browser you are using. Our full cookies policy can be viewed here.

Woman who sexually abused a young child is jailed

An Ancoats woman has been jailed for inciting a child to engage in sexual activity.

Eileen McBrien (02/05/1956), of Troutbeck Avenue, has today (Thursday 3 January 2018) been sentenced at Manchester Crown Square to six years in prison. She was previously found guilty of one count of inciting a child to engage in sexual activity.

She will also have to sign the sex offenders register and be subject to a sexual harm prevention order for life.

During 2017, at a property in Manchester, McBrien forced the girl – who is under the age of 10 - to perform a sexual act on her.

Some time after the abuse took place the girl disclosed to her mother what had happened. The mother reported this to police and a full investigation was launched with McBrien immediately arrested.

During police interview she denied the offence but a jury at Manchester Crown Square found her guilty.

Sergeant Laura Halley, of GMP’s City of Manchester borough, said: “This is a harrowing case involving a young child who bravely disclosed what had happened to her. As a result of her telling her mother we were able to swiftly arrest McBrien and I hope this case demonstrates just how seriously we take reports of this nature.

“By pleading not guilty, McBrien made the young victim relive her ordeal through the trial and caused further trauma.

“The family and victim have been through an extremely difficult time and hopefully this sentence will bring them some closure and allow them to move on with their lives”. 

© Greater Manchester Police 2019