Cookies on this website

Greater Manchester Police uses cookies on this website to provide information about visits to the site. We do not use cookies for collecting user information from the site. You consent to us placing cookies on your device if you continue to use our website with your browser settings set to accept cookies. If you wish to switch off cookies, you should view the guidance for the internet browser you are using. Our full cookies policy can be viewed here.

Man arrested on suspicion of attempt murder

A man has been arrested in connection with the stabbing of a taxi driver in Moss Side.

Just before 1:40pm yesterday, Tuesday 21 November 2017, officers from Cheshire Constabulary arrested a 31-year-old man on Market Street in Crewe on suspicion of attempted murder.

The arrest was made on behalf of Greater Manchester Police and the man will be transported to GMP custody today for questioning.

This is in connection with the stabbing of a taxi driver that took place on Ruskin Avenue on Saturday 11 November 2017.

The 42-year-old was taken to hospital to be treated for serious injuries but has since been discharged to continue his recovery at home.

It is believed that the driver had picked up a man on Dickenson Road, Longsight before driving to Ruskin Avenue.

The customer started arguing over the cost of the fare before he repeatedly stabbed the driver. He then fled the scene leaving him seriously injured.

Detective Inspector Geoff Machent, of GMP’s City of Manchester team, said: “We have been carrying out significant enquiries since this disgusting attack on a taxi driver as he attempted to do his job and an arrest has now been made.

“Yesterday afternoon a 31-year-old man was arrested in Crewe on suspicion of attempted murder and he will be transported to GMP custody for questioning today.”

Anybody with information should contact police on 101, quoting incident number 2017 of 11/11/17, or the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.

© Greater Manchester Police 2018