We are working on a new website with a range of services available. You can try it out here and let us know what you think.

Cookies on this website

Greater Manchester Police uses cookies on this website to provide information about visits to the site. We do not use cookies for collecting user information from the site. You consent to us placing cookies on your device if you continue to use our website with your browser settings set to accept cookies. If you wish to switch off cookies, you should view the guidance for the internet browser you are using. Our full cookies policy can be viewed here.

Two jailed after a family were attacked in their home

Two people have been jailed after a family were attacked in their own home in Cheetham Hill.

Today (Friday 15 February 2019), Patrick Murray (20/09/1953) of Alderwood Walk, Cheetham Hill was jailed for four years and two months at Manchester Minshull Street Crown Court after pleading guilty to assault and affray offences.

A 17-year-old boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was also sentenced at the same court today to one year and six months in prison for affray and assault.

On the evening of Thursday 12 June 2018, Patrick Murray was stood at the side of a road in Cheetham Hill, arguing with a woman who was sat in her car. Murray opened the woman’s car door and slapped her on the face. A family who lived nearby- a woman in her 40s, her husband who is in his 50s, and their teenage son- heard the commotion and rushed to the woman’s aid.

Murray made off in a Vauxhall Vivaro van. Soon after, the woman who had been assaulted in her car also fled the scene and the family who had come to the woman’s aid returned to their house.

Around ten minutes later, the family were chatting in the garden when Murray and the 17-year old offender burst into their house, along with another man who has not yet been identified. Murray was armed with a plank of wood, the 17-year-old had a machete, and the other man was brandishing a baseball bat.

The family were threatened with the weapons before the couple’s teenage son was hit with the baseball bat with such force that it broke into pieces upon impact. Luckily he was not seriously injured, but his father was slashed on the top of his head with a machete before the offender’s fled the scene.

Detective Constable Lindsay McHugh, of GMP’s City of Manchester division, said:

was a horrendous attack on an innocent family, who had simply been trying to help a woman in need.

one should be subjected to such a terrifying ordeal in their own home, and what they experienced is sickening.

“I hope today’s sentence brings some comfort to the victims knowing that this pair will now be sent to prison where they will now have to face the consequences of their actions.”

© Greater Manchester Police 2019