/ Lost something?

Losing something valuable can be frustrating, difficult or even upsetting and we will always try to help someone who has lost something.

However, we’re not always the best place to report things and there’s only certain things that we can take reports of. – please see our poster

What should I do?

If your property has gone missing, you have to determine whether you believe the item has been lost or stolen. If you are certain your property has been stolen you can report the crime/incident to us – take a look at our “Contact us” page for details on the different ways that you can do this.

What lost items should I report to the police?

We will only take lost reports for certain items, specifically:

  • Hazardous Items such as firearms, shotguns, ammunition, explosives, poisons, toxins or chemicals.
  • All Foreign National Passports ID Cards

You can do this by getting in touch with us in the ways shown on our “Contact us” page.

All other items of lost property should not be reported to GMP, however take a look at the guidance below for details on what to do next.

What if it’s not one of those?

If you lose any of the identifiable documents listed here you should make direct contact with the issuing authority/provider to notify them of the loss. They will tell you what to do next.

For any other items not already listed, you can report the loss for free through Report My Loss. Just click the button or visit www.reportmyloss.com to find out what to do.

Lost something in a public place?

Dependent upon what you have lost and where you have lost it, we might not be best placed to help re-unite you with your possession/s.

If you have lost something while out and about, first try to re-trace your steps and contact the places you've visited to see if they have it.

If you think you have lost your property in a public place/premises or on public transport, such as any of those listed below you should contact them directly as they often have their own lost and found property service.

Lost something outside of Greater Manchester?

If you have lost your property when you were outside of the Greater Manchester area, you should contact the appropriate police force to report the matter. Find a list of Forces across the country here: https://www.police.uk/contact/force-websites/

Alternatively you can report it online via Report My Loss (www.reportmyloss.com); however a fee may apply dependent upon which police force area you have lost your item.

Identifiable documents

  • Driving license
  • UK Passport
  • National Insurance Card
  • Identity Card (except Foreign National ID Card)
  • Bank Card, Credit Card or Cheque Book
  • Birth, Adoption, Death, Marriage and Civil Partnership Certificates
  • Blue Disabled Badge
  • Travel Pass (e.g. Bus Pass, Metrolink Pass, Rail Card)

Public places/premises or public transport

  • Licensed premises (pubs, bars, nightclubs)
  • Private premises (house, hotel, hostel)
  • Business premises (restaurants, shops, supermarkets, offices, entertainment venues e.g. cinemas)
  • Educational premises (schools, universities, colleges)
  • Public transport (trains, buses, trams)
  • Taxis (including Private Hire vehicles)
  • Airport

/ Related