Help text goes here
Man admits killing sister and mother
Social Media
Twitter: Choose Yes to create a tweet that will link to the story.
Tweet Image: Choose No for no image to be tweeted OR Choose Article if there is a picture in the article (in the Content Tab body), the one closest to the top of the article will feature underneath the tweet so this can be reflected in how you write the tweet OR choose Statement to input text and/or an image (for a tribute) OR choose Template to select an image from the image picker (statement or template images will be used regardless of there being an image in the article or not). If you have a missing/wanted person, please put their name and age in the tweet. You will have 170 characters for your tweet with an image. You will have 200 characters for a text-only tweet. The default is 200 characters.
Flickr: For an album use the number at the end of the link only in the field.
YouTube: Choose Yes. Copy the at the end of the YouTube link (after the final slash). Eg: HGdRhjvORBk and click the small Refresh icon (with three arrows). You will then be able to preview the YouTube video.

    Template Size

  • Small
  • Add Image

  • Select To Change

  • None
  • Change Selected

  • Other

  • Update

Use the sets code from the url i.e. https://www.flickr.com/photos/gmpolice1/sets/72157645404898108/ therefore 72157645404898108 would be used

A man who has spent the last four years in psychiatric care has today admitted killing his sister and mother.

After being deemed fit to plead, John Rao (born 09/09/67) of Greenwood Street, Standish has today, Monday 16 July 2012, pleaded guilty to the manslaughter of Geeta and Leela Rao on the grounds of diminished responsibility.

He has been sentenced to an indefinite hospital order.

In August 2009 a jury at Liverpool Crown Court found that Rao carried out the act of stabbing his mother and sister, but he was deemed unfit to stand trial by a judge after he read evidence from three psychiatrists.

Geeta, aged 43, died at the time of the stabbing on Tuesday 19 February 2008, while Leela, age 73, died of pneumonia resulting from the stabbing months later in August 2008. She had been in hospital since the incident.

Rao had a history of mental illness and erratic behaviour and often argued with his sister and mother as a result.

Rao had earlier been to London in an attempt to get a travel visa but had failed. He sat brooding on the train back to Wigan and at that stage decided he was going to do his family some harm. Whilst making his way to Geeta's house, he bought a knife, which he later used to kill Geeta and Leela

At about 5.30pm on Tuesday 19 February 2008, Leela went to Geeta's house on Collingwood Street, Wigan, and was surprised to see her son sitting in the lounge.

She sat down next to him and he explained that he had lost his keys and locked himself out of his house. He became aggressive.

Roa then offered to make a cup of tea and went into the kitchen followed by Geeta. Whilst in the kitchen he fatally stabbed his sister in the back and neck, he then returned to the lounge where he stabbed his mother in the neck before leaving the house.

Geeta's two children, aged 12 and 16, were in the house at the time of the incident.

Geeta and Leela were taken to Wigan Royal Infirmary, where Geeta was rushed into surgery but died at about 10.20pm that night.

Leela was transferred to Hope Hospital where she was taken in for surgery for a damaged spinal chord. She was paralysed from the waist down as a result of the attack and lost the use of her legs. She died of pneumonia related to the stabbing in hospital on Monday 11 August 2008.

Rao was arrested a short time after the incident outside his home.

Detective Chief Inspector Phil Reade said: "This is a tragedy that has devastated a whole family and left two children without a mother and grandmother. Not even the time that has gone by makes this any easier but I hope that todays outcome allows them to move forward and continue rebuilding their lives."