Help text goes here
Contact Us
Social Media
Twitter: Choose Yes to create a tweet that will link to the story.
Tweet Image: Choose No for no image to be tweeted OR Choose Article if there is a picture in the article (in the Content Tab body), the one closest to the top of the article will feature underneath the tweet so this can be reflected in how you write the tweet OR choose Statement to input text and/or an image (for a tribute) OR choose Template to select an image from the image picker (statement or template images will be used regardless of there being an image in the article or not). If you have a missing/wanted person, please put their name and age in the tweet. You will have 170 characters for your tweet with an image. You will have 200 characters for a text-only tweet. The default is 200 characters.
Flickr: For an album use the number at the end of the link only in the field.
YouTube: Choose Yes. Copy the at the end of the YouTube link (after the final slash). Eg: HGdRhjvORBk and click the small Refresh icon (with three arrows). You will then be able to preview the YouTube video.

    Template Size

  • Small
  • Add Image

  • Select To Change

  • None
  • Change Selected

  • Other

  • Update

Use the sets code from the url i.e. https://www.flickr.com/photos/gmpolice1/sets/72157645404898108/ therefore 72157645404898108 would be used

In an emergency: dial 999

  • An emergency is when a crime is being committed or has just been witnessed, there is a risk of injury, or a risk of serious damage to property.

In an non-emergency: dial 101

  • Reporting a crime that has already happened
  • Getting crime prevention advice
  • Giving police information about crime in your area
  • Contacting local officers
  • Any other non-emergency 


Every hoax or non-emergency call to 999 causes a delay in answering and dealing with genuine emergencies. 

999 is a fast response line for members of the public who urgently need police assistance. 

Misuse of this service can seriously put lives at risk and we therefore urge the public to consider this before ringing the service with non-urgent matters.


Reporting a crime

You can use the following websites to report crime to the police:

  • Action Fraud - UK's national fraud and internet crime reporting centre.
  • Report It - reporting online hate crime.
  • Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre (CEOP) - The National Crime Agency's CEOP Command works with child protection partners across the UK and overseas to identify the main threats to children and coordinates activity against these threats to bring offenders to account. They protect children from harm online and offline, directly through NCA led operations and in partnership with local and international agencies.


  • Crimestoppers is an independent charity who will not want your name, just your information. Your call will not be traced or recorded and you do not have to go to court or give a statement. If you have any information relating to guns and gangs or any crime you can call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or through www.crimestoppers-uk.org

Praise and complaints

  • If you think that a police officer or member of police staff has behaved incorrectly or unfairly, or if you have received good service from us, we want to know about your experiences.
  • You call tell us about your positive experiences here.
  • Please read our Complaints section to find out how to make a complaint and the appeals process.
  • Please do not use this facility to report crimes or enquire on outstanding crimes. Please phone 101 with details.

Data Protection Officer

The Data Protection Officer assists GMP to monitor internal compliance, informs and advises relevant staff of our data protection obligations, provides advice regarding Data Protection Impact Assessments (DPIAs) and acts as a contact point for data subjects and the supervisory authority.

The Data Protection Officer can be contacted via the below details:

  • Telephone: 0161 856 4297 / 0161 856 1150
  • Email: dataprotection@gmp.pnn.police.uk
  • Address: Data Protection Officer, Information Compliance & Records Management Unit, Greater Manchester Police, Openshaw Complex, Lawton Street, Openshaw, Manchester, M11 2NS

Emergency SMS service

  • The emergencySMS service lets deaf, hard of hearing and speech-impaired people in the UK send an SMS text message to the UK 999 service where it will be passed to the police, ambulance, fire rescue, or coastguard.
  • Find out more about the service here: http://www.emergencysms.org.uk/

Hearing or speech impaired 

  • Contact via NGT - 18000 for emergency calls

SignVideo Service

  • SignVideo is a specialist state-of the art video centre staffed by fully qualified and registered (NRCPD/SASLI) BSL/English Interpreters, who are available on demand.
  • It can be used to report non-emergencies to Greater Manchester Police for free.
  • Click here for more information and to access the service here.

Ask the Police

  • The Ask the Police website, an official police resource, has been developed to reduce the number of non-emergency calls to police forces. You can access an extensive bank of police-based Frequently Asked Questions.

Social Media

Postal Enquiries

You can write to the following address:

Greater Manchester Police
Openshaw Complex,
Lawton Street,
M11 2NS