- It is a legal requirement stated by the Home Office under The Immigration Regulation Act 1971, that as a condition to remain in the United Kingdom certain foreign nationals are required to register with the police in whose area they are to reside.
- You MUST register within 7 days of arrival in to the United Kingdom.
- This only applies to Foreign Nationals who have been granted leave to remain for more than 6 months or where an extension is granted therefore making the total leave to remain more than 6 months.
Citizens of the following countries who are admitted to the United Kingdom (UK) may be required to register with the police:
- Afghanistan, Argentina, Algeria, Armenia, Azerbaijan
- Bahrain, Belarus, Bolivia, Brazil
- China, Cuba, Colombia
- Iran, Israel, Iraq
- Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Kuwait
- Lebanon, Libya
- Moldova, Morocco
- North Korea
- Palestine, Peru
STATELESS persons are also subject of the Police Registration Scheme. Entry Clearance officers and Immigrations Officers can in certain circumstances impose the requirement to register on nationals of countries not listed above.
If the following is written on the visa in your passport or on the reverse of your Biometric Residence Permit:
- "Police Registration within 7 days of arrival” OR
- "Register at once with the police"
You must register either within 7 days of arriving in the United Kingdom or within 7 days of receiving your visa extension from the Home Office.