North West Counter Terrorism Unit
- The North West Counter Terrorism Unit (NW CTU) tackles the terrorist threat in the North West, which includes the Greater Manchester area.
- The unit supports GMP in protecting the public from terrorist threats and builds on the existing good work that local police officers are doing within our communities.
- Officers and staff support GMP by providing specialist skills and expertise when faced with a terrorist threat. They also work closely with neighbourhood policing teams across Greater Manchester on a day to day basis in order to help raise awareness about terrorism.
Intelligence collection and analysis
- Intelligence is gathered by both overt and covert methods. It is then assessed, evaluated, analysed and disseminated and is used to inform both Police Forces and the Security Service about threats from groups and individuals regarding national security and domestic extremism issues.
Counter Terrorism Investigations
- Our investigations team includes experienced officers and police staff who utilise their skills to speak to people with information, interview witnesses and deal with suspects who have been arrested on suspicion of being involved in terrorist related offences and offences relating to domestic extremism e.g. animal rights activists. They are supported by staff with specialist skills such computer examination, financial investigation and the forensic recovery of articles and evidence.
CONTEST is the name of the Government’s strategy to respond to the threat of both domestic and international terrorism. The strategy aims to reduce the risk to the UK and our assets overseas, so that people can go about their lives freely and with confidence. CONTEST is split in to 4 strands:
- Pursue: To stop terrorist attacks
- Prevent: To stop people becoming terrorists or supporting terrorism
- Protect: To strengthen our protection against terrorist attacks
- Prepare: When an attack cannot be stopped, to mitigate its impact.
The NW CTU uses these 4 strands to shape all of the work we carry out across the North West region and Greater Manchester.