Modern Slavery is happening here. Now.
- It is a problem that transcends age, gender and ethnicities, and can impact both foreign nationals and British citizens. Modern slavery takes many forms, but some of the most common are sexual exploitation, forced labour and domestic servitude. Victims are forced to work illegally, against their will in many different sectors, including brothels, cannabis farms, nail bars, agriculture and even within people’s homes.
Would you spot the signs?
- A lack of self-esteem
- Acting as if instructed by another
- Injured or in need of medical care
- Fearful and poorly integrated into the local community
- Living in overcrowded accommodation
- Lacking suitable clothing for their job
- Picked up by vehicles at unusual hour
- Call police on 999 in an emergency, 101 if it’s not.
- Crimestoppers: 0800 111 555
- Modern Slavery Helpline: 0800 0121 700
- There’s also an online form created by the Home Office: https://modernslavery.co.uk/contact.html