We are working on a new website with a range of services available. You can try it out here and let us know what you think.

How to make a complaint

We are sorry that you feel you have not been given the service you expected.

Please provide us with details of how you think that a police officer or member of police staff has behaved incorrectly or unfairly towards you. This site form is only for making a complaint against a police officer or police staff under the Police Reform Act 2002.

  • If you wish to report a crime please call our non-emergency number 101 or call 999 if it is an emergency. Do not use this site to report crime.

  • Complaints about the overall policies or procedures of a police force are often referred to as ‘direction and control issues’. These can include complaints about the organisation of a police force or general policing standards in your local area. These complaints can also be made by contacting the Professional Standards Branch in any of the ways listed.

You can register your complaint by using any of the methods below. However to avoid duplication, please submit your complaint using only one of the methods.


  • You can now make a complaint using our new online service

In person

  • In person at your local station or, if you believe local management is at fault, at any main station. Find a list of Public Enquiry Counters here. Any police officer or other member of police staff will ensure that you see someone capable of dealing with your complaint. The Professional Standards Branch will be pleased to advise or assist any member of the public with a disability to make a complaint.

In writing

  • By writing to your local or main station or Police Headquarters.

By phone

  • By phoning the GMP non emergency number 101.

By post

  • Professional Standards Branch (PSB), GMP Force HQ, Openshaw Complex, Lawton St, Openshaw, Manchester, M11 2NS

Through other agencies

Third Party Complaints


© Greater Manchester Police 2019