We are working on a new website with a range of services available. You can try it out here and let us know what you think.

101 - the police non-emergency number

101 logo

Your Local Police contact number should be used in the following circumstances:

  • If you have previously reported a crime to GMP and require an update.
  • If you want to speak to the investigating officer.
  • To obtain crime prevention advice
  • To speak to officers based in your area

If you want to report a crime or incident please call 101.


101 provides one easy to remember number that will make it easier for you to contact police wherever you are in the UK.

Call from landlines and mobile networks cost 15 pence per call, no matter what time of day or how long you are on the phone for.

Using 101 for situations that don’t require an immediate police response will help to make sure 999 calls can be dealt with speedily.

Remember …

In an emergency, where there is a threat to life or a crime in progress, always call 999

Why are calls to 101 not free of charge like 999?

  • 101 is a service for the public to use in situations that do not require an immediate police response. Therefore it is appropriate that a contribution is made to the cost of providing this service. The police service has always charged for non-emergency calls and the introduction of the national 101 number allows for the cost to be standardised across the country. The Home Office has negotiated a competitive price for this service and in many force areas, such as GMP, the 15 pence per call charge replaces previous higher charges. 101 is not a profit making telephone number.

What will happen to the old police non-emergency number?

  • Although 101 replaces the old GMP non-emergency number (0161 872 5050), it will continue to function.

Is 101 available outside GMP?

  • Yes, 101 is available to all police forces in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

How do I contact GMP if I’m out of the Force area?

  • If you are calling from outside the UK or in an area that is not as yet using 101 then call us on +44 161 872 5050. If you are calling from an area that is using 101, police operators will put you through to the relevant police force to deal with your query.

What happens if you call 101 and it is an emergency situation?

  • If you call 101 and it is deemed to be an emergency, our trained operators will treat it as an emergency call.

Who funds 101?

  • The national 101 infrastructure is funded by the Home Office and the Department for Communities and Local Government. The operation of the 101 number in Greater Manchester is funded by GMP.

If someone is hard of hearing, deaf or speech impaired, can they call 101?

  • Deaf, hard of hearing or speech impaired callers can access the service via textphone on 18001 101.

If English is not my first language, can I still call 101?

  • Our police operators have access to professional interpreters who can help to translate your call if you cannot, or have difficulty, speaking English.

What if I want to contact one of my local officers?

  • You can still contact your local policing team by calling their direct line or emailing them. If you do not have their details they can be found by searching on this website. Or you can call 101 and one of our police operators will be happy to put you through. You can also contact local neighbourhood policing teams through their social media accounts. A list of them can be found here.


© Greater Manchester Police 2019