Receiving complaints is a valuable way for us to learn and improve. Find out what qualifies as a complaint, when you should make one and the best way to do it.

Who can I make a complaint about?

You can complain about anyone employed by the police, from officers to members of staff. You don’t have to know their name or shoulder number, if you can give us a detailed description of what happened we can look into it.

You can also make a complaint about the way a particular case was handled, the quality of a police station, or just the force in general.

To make a complaint about a force chief constable, please contact the Mayor's Office.

To complain about other police services, you can contact them directly or contact the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC)

Who can make a complaint?

You can complain if you’re claiming:

  • that you experienced the conduct
  • to be adversely affected by the conduct, even though you didn’t experience it
  • to have witnessed the conduct

Please note

You can make a complaint on someone else’s behalf if they are under 16 and you're their legal parent or guardian; or if you have their written consent.

What could my complaint be about?

Please make a complaint if you feel you have:

  • experienced inappropriate behaviour from a police officer, member of staff, contractor or volunteer

  • witnessed in person an incident where a police officer, member of staff, contractor or volunteer acted inappropriately

  • been adversely affected by a police officer, member of staff, contractor or volunteer acting inappropriately, even if you were not directly involved

We would define inappropriate behaviour as:

  • rude or aggressive

  • causing distress

  • causing inconvenience

  • causing property loss or damage

  • causing danger or risk

How do I make a complaint?

There are several ways you can make a complaint:

  • visit your local police station (use the police station finder below)

Police station finder

Location search controls

Police station finder

Find your nearest police station or contact point using the search box below. 

Enter a postcode, street address or area.


Showing results for