The International Visitor Registration Office (IVRO) is the place to visit in Greater Manchester if you live in Greater Manchester and have been required to register with the police, an essential part of many foreign nationals’ visa conditions. This includes students.

You can't register at any police station: you must make an appointment and come to the IVRO.

Our details

Our address is:

Greenheys Police Station
Charles Halle Road
Moss Side
M15 6NP

View IVRO on map

You can make your appointment online. Please don't call us or visit without an appointment. Click 'Start' at the bottom of this page to complete our quick and simple online form.

Average completion time: 5 mins

Please check what to bring with you.

Opening times for appointments

Monday to Friday: 7.30am to 12pm and 12.45pm to 3pm
Saturday and Sunday: closed
UK public holidays and bank holidays: closed

Appointments take about 20 minutes.

When to attend

You must visit the IVRO to register and get your police registration certificate (PRC) within seven days of arriving in Greater Manchester. This is important, because if you don't you may face:

  • a £5,000 fine
  • a prison sentence
  • recommendation of deportation
  • a ten-year ban on entering the UK

When you arrive, please ring the bell to gain entry to the front counter.

We'll give you your PRC at the end of the appointment, after you complete registration.

Unsure if you need to register? Read our advice for first time visitors: who needs to register as a foreign national?

When your details change

If you change any of your personal or contact details whilst studying or working in Greater Manchester, you'll need to re-register with the IVRO. See reporting a change in circumstances or new visa to find out what to do.

You must report any of the following changes within seven days:

  • change of address
  • change of college/university/course
  • change of occupation
  • change in marital status
  • new landing conditions (re-entry visa)
  • new passport details
  • children once they are aged 16 or over
  • exemption from Police Registration

If you lose your certificate

If you've lost your police registration certificate, please make an appointment in the same way. We'll ask you about why and how you lost it, before we can consider issuing you a new one.

Please see our full checklist of what to bring with you when you visit the IVRO.


The IVRO has no toilets or baby changing facilities.

The IVRO has no printing, copying or photo facilities.

We don't allow pets inside the IVRO, except guide dogs.

Please note

It is a criminal offence in the UK to carry guns, knives, CS gas, offensive weapons and classified drugs such as cannabis, marijuana or hashish.

If you're found carrying any of the above items at the IVRO you could face criminal charges.