Being stopped and searched can be an unpleasant experience, no matter the approach of the police officers involved. But if it’s felt that there has been unnecessary force or an inappropriate attitude, then we'd like to hear about it and, where necessary, act upon it. Likewise, we welcome any suggestions or positive comments you’d like to share.

Tell us about your experience of being stopped by the police

If you feel you’ve had an unpleasant or unsatisfactory experience, you may wish to make a formal complaint. You can do so if you think a police officer has behaved incorrectly or unfairly. For example, if you think an officer has:

  • been rude to you
  • used excessive force
  • abused your rights
  • arrested you unlawfully

All complaints are investigated and this can take time. 

To make a formal complaint and for more information about how complaints are investigated, read our complaints pages. If you've had a positive experience, you can offer us feedback.

Alternatives to a formal complaint

To raise an issue about something that has caused you concern, or was done well, it may be worth giving feedback. This might be particularly useful if you've witnessed something where, because you were not directly affected, you feel reluctant to make a formal contact, but you still feel unhappy, or pleased, about the way you've seen police officers behave.

There are options available for giving feedback:

  • Make a suggestion using our online contact form.
  • Share your experience of the stop and search: contact a team that's independent of the police (you may be contacted by staff; they won't share your personal information without your consent, but they will use what you say to help improve our service).

How to get involved

Lay observers' scheme

With our lay observers' scheme, Greater Manchester residents can accompany police officers on patrol to witness our use of stop and search and give us feedback.

To ask about this please contact us. For security checks, we'll need your full name, date of birth and address. Please also give us a reason why you'd like to take part in the scheme.

Community stop and search monitoring group

If you'd like to take part in your local community stop and search monitoring group please contact us and ask to talk to your divisional stop and search lead officer.