Find out below how to apply for or renew a firearm, shotgun or explosives certificate. Whether you’re a firearm owner, firearm dealer, shooting club member or planning to travel with firearms, answer a few quick questions and we’ll guide you to the right form and everything you need to complete it.

Advice tool

Add other firearm(s) or ammunition to a current certificate

How do I apply?

Step 1: Download, complete and sign the Application to Vary a Firearm Certificate (Form 201V).

You'll need these details:

  • your current firearms certificate
  • the name and address of your current UK GP or UK GP practice
  • any physical or mental health conditions
  • any previous convictions
  • firearm(s) you wish to vary and why
  • details about any offences or written cautions (including speeding but not parking offences or fixed penalty notices), including the date (month and year)

You can find out about your conviction history by making a Subject Access Request to ACRO.

Step 2: There's no charge for an increase in ammunition. For additional firearms make out a cheque or postal order for £20, payable to GMCA GMP.

We can't accept cash.

Step 3: Post the completed form, cheque or postal order and your current firearms certificate to:

Greater Manchester Police
Box 06
Nexus House


How much does it cost?

It's free to add ammunition. 

To add firearms costs £20.

What happens after I apply?

We'll get in touch as quickly as possible if we have any questions about your application or need to ask for more information or arrange a home visit.

Otherwise, you should receive your updated certificate within eight weeks.