Find out below how to apply for or renew a firearm, shotgun or explosives certificate. Whether you’re a firearm owner, firearm dealer, shooting club member or planning to travel with firearms, answer a few quick questions and we’ll guide you to the right form and everything you need to complete it.

Advice tool

Add a place of business to a current dealer certificate

Coronavirus (Covid-19): We are temporarily unable to process any new applications for the grant of shotgun, firearms or explosives certificates.

This is due to home visits no longer being possible, following government guidance on the need for social distancing.

Please contact us online if you have any questions. 

Renewals are currently still being processed.


How do I apply?

Step 1: Download and complete the Notification by a Registered Firearms Dealer of a Place of Business Not Already Entered in the Register form (Form 116A).

You'll need these details:

  • your current certificate number
  • address of the new business

Step 2: Post your completed form to:

Greater Manchester Police
Box 06
Nexus House


How much does it cost?

It's free to apply.

What happens after I apply?

We'll get in touch as quickly as possible if we have any questions about your application or need to ask for more information.

Otherwise, we will contact you within six weeks.