How to apply for a firearm, shotgun or explosives certificate
Find out below how to apply for or renew a firearm, shotgun or explosives certificate. Whether you’re a firearm owner, firearm dealer, shooting club member or planning to travel with firearms, answer a few quick questions and we’ll guide you to the right form and everything you need to complete it.
Apply for a certificate to own less than 15kg of explosives for use in a firearm
How do I apply?
Step 1: Familiarise yourself with the Explosives Regulations 2014.
Step 2: Download and complete the Application for an Explosives Certificate form (Form ER4A).
You'll need these details:
- your home addresses from the last five years
- your firearm or shotgun certificate (if applicable)
- previous explosive certificates (if applicable)
- any previous convictions
- any physical or mental health conditions
- details about any offences or written cautions (including speeding but not parking offences or fixed penalty notices), including the date (month and year)
You can find out about your conviction history by making a Subject Access Request to ACRO.
In this form you'll also need to specify whether you plan to acquire only, or acquire and keep, the explosives.
Step 3: Post your completed form to:
Greater Manchester Police
How much does it cost?
It's free to apply.
What happens after I apply?
We'll get in touch as quickly as possible if we have any questions about your application or need to ask for more information.