Six-months on: Detectives and family of Kennie Carter plea for closure ahead of teenager's first birthday since fatal Stretford stabbing earlier this year
Main article content
Detectives leading the hunt to bring the killers of Kennie Carter to justice are appealing for those with information to give themselves and Kennie’s loved ones closure, as the teenager’s family plea for information ahead of his first birthday since he was fatally stabbed in Stretford in January.
Kennie was just 16-years-old when he was chased by a group of teenagers and attacked on Thirlmere Avenue on the evening of Saturday 22 January as he was walking home alone.
Tragically, he suffered a fatal single stab wound to the chest and could not be saved by paramedics and responding officers at the scene despite their best efforts.
Investigators from our Major Incident Team have since embarked on a wide-ranging and complex murder inquiry; which has seen over 20 warrants executed, 14 arrests made, in excess of 100 hours of CCTV meticulously viewed, and around 80 people spoken to in relation to the investigation.
Ten teenage boys – aged between 13 and 18 – remain under investigation as our efforts continue until Kennie’s family have got the justice they deserve for their son.
But we still need that vital breakthrough and the community’s help to bring this case to court and find justice for Kennie’s family.
Six months on, his parents are preparing for Kennie’s first birthday without him on Sunday 24 July, as we continue to appeal alongside them for anyone who may have heard or know information about what happened that night to contact us to allow closure for all involved in the tragedy.
Detective Chief Inspector Alicia Smith, Senior Investigating Officer in the murder probe, said: “We have worked relentlessly on this investigation since it began on that devastating evening six months ago, and our work does not stop in bringing to justice those responsible for Kennie’s death.
“I want to be clear to anyone thinking this will just go away over time: murder investigations do not close, we do not stop pursuing every available line of enquiry - and doing whatever we can - to find the truth, and to put behind bars whoever committed this cowardly attack.
“Kennie died from a single stab wound which suggests that only one of those present was responsible for the fatal blow. We are focusing on bringing that person to justice, and are remaining open minded to the role of others present.
“Too many young people have been affected from this truly traumatic event and they cannot move on or seek the help they need until the truth is out. It is only then can they begin to recover their young lives.”
“Kennie’s parents, family, and friends continue to be denied closure and I urge anyone who has information - but has not yet told us what they know - to come forward so we can seek justice and closure for Kennie’s loved ones.”
Anyone can contact us in confidence about this case by calling the major incident hotline on 0161 856 9908 quoting Operation Sandpiper.
Any footage or images from the night should be submitted to our online portal here: https://mipp.police.uk/operation/06GMP22S43-PO1
Information can be passed anonymously to the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555