We are aware of a number of social media posts circulating which may identify potential victims of sexual offences in connection with the live investigation into Reynhard Sinaga.
We would like to stress that under the Sexual Offences (Amendment) Act 2000, victims of sexual offences have a lifelong right to anonymity and therefore any post which identifies victims of sexual offences constitutes a criminal offence. Additionally these posts risk jeopardising an ongoing investigation into serious crime.
Please be mindful when sharing any social media posts.
Operation Dynamo is a forcewide-led operation aiming at tackling vehicle theft across Greater Manchester.
Vehicle theft has been an increasing problem in Greater Manchester since 2012, with more than 10,000 vehicles stolen in 2017. This includes an increasing number of thefts by means of Residential Burglary, however these are still low in numbers overall (28% of all vehicles stolen). There has also been an increase in the number of vans and motorcycles stolen, however cars still account for the majority of vehicles stolen.
Unfortunately due to the nature of these thefts, we are only about to recover around 40% of cars that get stolen meaning the other 60% may be being dismantled/ taken out of the Greater Manchester area.
Purpose of Operation Dynamo
The aim is to deter, disrupt and ultimately dismantle organised criminality in relation to this type of crime.
Should I be concerned?
We understand that if your car is stolen – this can have a devastating effect. We recognise this threat and are determined to crackdown on the offenders who are committing these crimes to make communities across Greater Manchester feel safe and protected.
What can I do to minimise this happening to my vehicle?
There are a number of ways you can minimise the threat of your vehicle being taken:
Store your keys away from doors, windows or any place it can be seen or easily located
Invest in a faraday bag – they are lined with metal material and can block the key’s signal
Invest in a tracking device – it won’t stop your vehicle being stolen, but it can significantly increase the chances of police locating and returning a vehicle to the rightful owner
A steering or wheel lock can be enough of a deterrent to stop a thief
Car theft typically occurs in residential areas during the night – talking to your neighbours can help your community be alert to anyone behaving suspiciously
Stay vigilant. If you notice anything unusual in your community, report it to the police via the LiveChat facility of the GMP website or call 101. Always dial 999 in an emergency.