What is Operation Valiant?
GMP is taking action to reduce the number of robberies across Greater Manchester, with a dedicated operation to tackle the issue and keep the people of Greater Manchester and their belongings safe.
What does it aim to do?
Launched in February 2018, Operation Valiant aims to reduce personal robberies by deterring offenders and educating the public about the risks and different steps they can use to keep themselves safe.
How does it work?
Tactics have included specific deployments of officers in key locations to disrupt offending, as well as working with TfGM to have signage on trams with messages not only with safety advice to the public but deterrent messages to offenders alerting them to police presence.
The operation also includes working closely with partners, Manchester City Council, to ensure that the legislation available is used to apply for Criminal Behaviour Orders to ensure offenders are banned from the city centre.
How can I keep myself safe?
- Be aware of your surroundings. If you want to use your mobile phone, make it quick and don’t get distracted
- Don’t be an easy target – travel in groups, there’s safety in numbers
- Stick to well-lit areas and avoid shortcuts
- Don’t display electronics when not in use
- Your personal safety is more important than your belongings
- If you see something suspicious or want to report a crime, you can do so via LiveChat on our website or by calling 101. Always dial 999 in an emergency.